Whole class editing task

 Due to problems with the Adobe premiere editing software Mr Welch elected that we perform and edit a whole class film.

To do this we first brainstormed an idea for a plot - a reality tv show featuring an Ofsted inspector enters Tupton hall and is mistaken for a teacher, then must somehow teach a lesson he has no idea how to teach.

After this we filmed the scenes, utilizing the exterior of the school, the PE block back door, Mr Welch's classroom and an office as sets. However as I was preoccupied on the day of filming my scenes (and the rest of the talking heads) were filmed on the day afterwards.

Once filming had finished I edited them together. To add some flair I made use of music in the intro and outro sections but made an effort to not use it outside of those zones - to preserve the look and feel of a legitimate and real reality tv show. Furthermore I added some colour correction and lens flare to all exterior and hallway shots to make the outside look visually appealing and make the hallway feel oppressive and confusing: reflecting the inspector's current feelings.

Finally, at long last I exported it as an AVI for quickness' sake - which did end up sacrificing visibility of some texts as a side effect.

above: The opening shot - notice the colour correction and lens flare
below: the shot of the two walking down the hall with the oppressive light and colour

below: The first talking head shot, I enjoyed the subtle jokes and editing in these sequences and they look very official - I am very proud with how they turned out

above: This shot is a very good one as well: not only did I have the voiceover continue while displaying a relevant scene: much like a real documentary, but I also applied the same filter that the other hallway scenes posses - preserving the continuity as well

Overall:

Positives: The editing and continuity was satisfactory and realistic. I enjoyed the talking heads and the rest of the humour. Furthermore I think I did well with the filters and lens flares used. I also think the endings and use of music turned out very well.

Negatives: The ending and beginning credits felt unnecessary and stretched out for the sake of fitting in the songs - next time I will not needlessly crowbar things in if it does not fit. Furthermore I would use a more legible font for the credits as they did not quite survive exporting

Skills I learned: Over the course of this task I learned how to apply filters and effects without them looking intrusive, I learned to collaborate with others in order to plan an enticing plot and characters. I also learned how to cast for roles depending on how suitable they are for the job. Finally I frequently asked for feedback and criticism on my editing so that I could go back and fix it.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboarding and shotlisting